What is Abacavir?
- It is a drug used for treating HIV and AIDS
- It may cause hypersensitivity that can lead to death in rare cases.
What is abacavir hypersensitivity test?
- It is a test that is performed before using abacavir as a drug
- to ensure that the patient will not get hypersensitivity.
What is the HLA-B*5701 test?
- HLA is the Human Leukocytic Antigen gene which is responsible for the production of a type of MHC (Major Histocompatibility Complex).
- MHC is the complex responsible for the Cell recognition to make the immune system start to produce specific Antibodies to that antigen
What is the relation between Abacavir and the HLA-B*5701 gene?
- Abacavir prevent HLA-B*5701 gene from producing MHC and thus from the recognition of Antigens and the Immune system will start to kill the cells of the body itself causing the hypersensitivity